Friday, February 21, 2014

Butternut Squash, Carmelized onion and Arugula Pizza

I made a pizza.

Not too shocking, because I love pizza. But for some reason, I really never made them at home. A few months ago, though, I discovered that TJ's sells pizza dough.

Its less than $2 and delicious. They have a whole wheat version, which is what I always get, but they also have white and then some sort of flavored one that I am definitely trying next.

I had this thought in my head that butternut squash, carmelized onions and arugula would make a great pizza. I googled the heck out of it but couldn't find exactly what I wanted so I figured I'd wing it. Turned out pretty well so I figured I'd share! (Disclaimer: this started with me googling "how to carmelize an onion. My cooking skills are awesome).

Ingredients:

1 pizza crust
1/2 red onion - more if you really like onions
Approx 3 C butternut squash, cubed
1 tsp oregano, divided
1 tsp minced garlic
olive oil
balsamic vinegar
1/2-1c shredded cheese (I used a swiss/gruyere combo)
1/2 c arugula
salt to taste

Step 1: Preheat oven (or toaster oven) to 400. Prepare the butternut squash: toss with olive oil to coat and 1/2 tsp oregano. Sprinkle with salt. Place squash on shallow baking dish and bake for 25min.

Step 2: While squash is cooking, preheat olive oil in skillet on medium heat. Thinly slice onions and saute until translucent. Once onions are transulcent, lower heat slightly. Add a splash of balsamic vinetar and continue to stir frequently until onions are soft and brown.

Step 3: combine about 2 Tbsp of olive oil with minced garlic and the other 1/2 tsp of oregano. Spread over pizza crust as a base.

Step 4: Top pizza with onions, cheese, and squash. Top with a splash of balsamic vinegar. Bake at 350 for approximately 15 minutes (or follow the instructions for your crust) until cheese begins to bubble.

Step 5: Rinse arugula with cold water to refresh. Allow to drain.

Step 6: Remove pizza from oven and immediately top with arugula. Serve warm.

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment